Are Mini-Splits Energy Efficient?
Homeowners are always on the hunt for ways to save money by improving the energy efficiency of their homes. From adding insulation to upgrading an old air conditioning system past its prime, ensuring everything works as intended is vital to keep your home’s energy costs down.
One way to improve your home’s energy efficiency is to consider replacing your central heating and cooling system with ductless mini-splits. Mini-splits allow you to control each room of your home individually. By setting the temperature for individual rooms, you can save money and improve efficiency by heating and cooling your home precisely where you need it.
Are mini-splits energy efficient? Should you consider one for your home? Read on to find out.
What Are Ductless Mini-Splits?
A ductless mini-split is a heating and cooling system that doesn’t require ductwork to distribute air throughout a room. Instead, the mini-split has an outdoor unit connected to a smaller indoor unit. The indoor unit typically mounts on a wall and looks like a large flat-screen TV.
Ductless mini-splits are popular in homes where adding or extending ductwork is either impractical or too expensive. They’re also a good choice for homes with radiant floor systems since there’s no need to run ducts from the basement or crawlspace.
Mini-splits come with both cooling and heating capabilities, so they can be used year-round. You can also install mini-split heat pumps or cooling-only ones if you only need one type of mini-split in your home depending on where you live and average temperatures through the year. Most mini-splits are also ENERGY STAR certified, which means they’re efficient and can save you money on your energy bills.
How Energy Efficient Are Mini-Splits?
According to the United States Department of Energy, they are a great alternative to central air conditioning and can save you up to 30% on your heating and cooling costs.
Ductless mini-splits have been increasing in popularity due to their energy efficiency and ability to be installed almost anywhere in a home. Since mini-splits don’t use ductwork, every bit of hot and cool air makes it into a room instead of leaking out of those ducts as they suffer from wear and tear.
Here are some more reasons why mini-splits are so energy efficient:
- Transfers heat but doesn’t create heat. This means that the heat generated from running a central heating and cooling system doesn’t leak into your home’s walls, insulation, attic space, and other areas that don’t need to be heated or cooled. This raises the overall temperature of your home when you don’t want it to.
- No reliance on ductwork. A mini-split doesn’t rely on complicated ductwork to move hot or cool air around your home. Unfortunately, the seals between segments of your ductwork can separate and create leaks over time. As the leaks worsen, you lose hot and cool air, forcing your central heating and cooling system to work harder, raising energy costs.
- Control each room of your home. By zoning your house into different areas and installing a mini-split for each zone, you can individually control the temperature throughout your home. This means that if you don’t use certain parts of your home often, you’ll save on heating and cooling costs by only using energy in the rooms you need to stay comfortable.
What Are the Benefits of Mini-Splits?
Ductless mini-split systems are becoming more popular in the United States as people become more aware of their energy efficiency and cost savings. Here are four of the biggest benefits of mini-split systems:
- They don’t take up a lot of space, so they can be installed in homes with limited square footage.
- Mini-splits provide individualized control over the temperature in each room, which is great for controlling energy costs.
- They are quiet, making them an excellent choice for bedrooms and other areas where noise needs to be minimal.
- Mini-splits are easy to maintain and repair, which means they can last many years without needing to be replaced sooner than they should.
Should You Invest in Mini-Splits for Your Home?
Mini-splits are a great investment for homeowners looking to improve the energy efficiency of their homes, save on overall energy costs, and create a more comfortable environment for everyone living in the house.
Our team wears clean uniforms and will keep your home tidy by
wearing boot covers and using mats to cover work areas, plus we'll always tidy up before we leave.